Viceroy of India and Cine Theater
2516-2524 W Devon Ave. Chicago, IL 60645
The Viceroy of India is another significant Moderne building and was originally built as the Cine Theater in 1937. Built for the Northern Amusement Co., the theater was designed by legendary architects Rapp & Rapp, well known as leading designers of early 20th century movie palaces including the Chicago Theater and the elaborate Uptown Theater. The Cine was the second movie theater in the West Ridge neighborhood, joining the earlier Nortown Theater from 1931 that was demolished in 2007.
An Insulux Glass Block tower that held a large vertical “CINE” sign above an angular marquee defined the original entrance to the Cine. These features have since been removed when the theater closed in 1953 and was converted into a clothing store. The curved stepped towers that stood behind the signage and glass block are still intact and indicative of the Moderne style. Other notable characteristics seen on the building include the banding at the top and the vertical zigzag ornamentation.
Source: Jennifer Harrman
Write up, Cinema Treasures
Viceroy of India website
Moderne architectural style
Rapp & Rapp architects
Photo credit: Jennifer Harrman