2349-2357 W Devon Ave. Chicago, IL 60659
The Devon Building was originally known as the Barnett Building after owners Joseph & Fannie Barnett and was built in 1927 by noted Devon architect and contractor William C. Presto. Presto had the second highest number of architectural commissions along this stretch of Devon next to Oldesfest & Williams. He is most well known for Krause Music Store (4611 N. Lincoln Ave.) built in 1922, which has an impressive terra cotta façade by Louis Sullivan and is now a local Chicago Landmark.
The Devon Building is a Gothic Revival style building and also has an ornate terra cotta façade and was once perhaps the most impressive building along the Devon commercial strip. Although the more decorative ornamentation at the top of the building has been removed, the majority of the façade is still intact including the entrance surrounds and terra cotta ornamentation. Other notable features include the rounded corner, decorative lanterns, and quatrefoil motif.
The building dates back to some of the earliest major development in West Ridge when Henry B. Rance started Prudential Realty, which was eventually based next door at 2345 W. Devon Ave. Rance anticipated the development boom of West Ridge in 1920 and after working out of a modest office at the corner of Devon and Western, he added an addition to the Devon Building for his offices in 1927 employing the same architect.
Source: Jennifer Harrman